Each winter a special ice skating rink opens in Whistler Olympic Plaza, where you can go ice skating in the heart of Whistler Village with views of the surrounding mountains, the Olympic Rings and thousands of twinkling, festive lights.
Dates and Hours for Winter 2018/19
The rink is open from December 8, 2018 to March 31, 2019 and is weather dependent. Holiday hours and events listed below.
||Closed for Ice Maintenance
||Rental Shop Hours
|11 AM - 8:30 PM
||1:30 PM - 2:30 PM
5 PM - 6 PM
|11 AM - 1:30 PM
2:30 PM - 5 PM
6 PM - 8:30 PM
- December 24
- 11 AM - 8 PM
- December 25
- 12 PM - 4 PM
- December 26
- 11 AM - 9 PM
- December 31
- 11 AM - 5 PM
6 PM - 12 AM for Whistler Presents: New Year's Eve Celebration (Skate Shop closes at 11 PM)
- January 1
- 11 AM - 9 PM
- Admission is free! Rental skates available for $6. Helmets available at no charge.
- Push bars available for anyone learning to skate – helmets are encouraged for beginners
- To keep the ice surface safe and family-friendly, hockey and figure skating are not permitted
Outdoor Skating on Local Lakes
When conditions are right, skating is possible on many local lakes. Skating on natural ice should only be undertaken when weather conditions have created safe ice conditions and is undertaken at your own risk. When in doubt, head to the outdoor rink at Whistler Olympic Plaza or the indoor rink at Meadow Park instead.
Important Safety Tips:
- Never skate alone
- Check the weather (temperatures should ideally be below -10° C / 14°
F for several days prior to skating)
- Speak with local residents or call a local fishing tour operator to check conditions
- Bring a drill and skating pole to test the thickness of the ice. A 15
cm (6 in) minimum ice thickness is recommended
- Stay close to shore where the water is shallower
- Stay away from any open water areas including small holes and slushy spots
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear
- Dress for cold weather conditions
- Small children should be supervised at all times
Meadow Park Sports Centre
The Meadow Park Sports Centre features
an NHL-sized ice surface with public skating available daily between noon
and 3 PM (subject to change for special events and holidays).
Qualified skate attendants are on hand and there is a full service
skate shop with skate rentals, helmets and push bars. The Centre also offers lessons, over-16 open skate sessions and parent and tot public skate sessions.
For more information on Meadow Park Sports Centre hours and rink operating times visit the Resort Municipality of Whistler Recreation site.