Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre
Please note: The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre has suspended all operations until further notice.
COVID-19 (coronavirus) Information and Resources for Travellers
The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre (SLCC) is the first centre of its kind in Canada. Two nations came together to celebrate and share their cultures with the world while creating meaningful employment opportunities for members of both the Sk̲wxwú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish Nation, Coast Salish) and Líl̓wat7ul (Lil’wat Nation, Interior Salish) Nations. Designed to evoke the form of a Squamish Longhouse and Lil’wat Istken (earthen dwelling), the SLCC embodies the spirit of partnership between two unique Nations who wish to preserve, grow, and share their traditional cultures.
When to Visit
- Cultural Centre open daily: 10 AM – 5 PM
- Hourly guided tours offered on the hour: 10 AM – 4 PM
- Thunderbird Café: 10 AM – 4 PM
- General Admission $18
- Student Admission $13.50
- Child Admission (5 and under) Free
- Family Pass (2 adults and 2 children under 18 years) $42
The gift shop and café can be accessed without paying the admission fee to the Centre – making it the perfect place in Whistler to pick up a memorable gift.
Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre Highlights
Visit the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre for their hourly guided tour experience offered on the hour, every hour, 10 AM – 4 PM daily. Friendly Cultural Ambassadors from both the Squamish and Lil’wat Nations share their culture and knowledge in this immersive cultural centre. The hourly guided tour includes a traditional welcome song, fifteen minute film, exhibit tour, and cedar-rope bracelet making activity. After the tour guests are encouraged to revisit areas of the museum that piqued their interest.
Other Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre highlights include:
- Permanent and temporary exhibits from the Squamish and Lil’wat Nations
- Live Demonstrations of weaving, carving, cedar prepping, and other cultural regenerative activities
- An outdoor Lil'wat Istken (earthen dwelling) and Squamish Longhouse
- An interpretive forest walk
- A craft area with interactive crafts for all ages
- A theatre showcasing a 15 minute film
- Whistler’s largest first nations gift shop, offering products authentic and unique to the Squamish, Lil'wat, and other First Nations peoples in Canada
- Thunderbird Café, an indigenous-inspired eatery in the SLCC’s admission-free area
- The gift shop and Thunderbird café can be accessed without paying the admission fee to the SLCC, making it the perfect place in Whistler to pick up a memorable gift
The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre is located in the Upper Village at 4584 Blackcomb Way. Limited parking is available onsite; additional parking is available along Blackcomb Way and in the Day Lots.
View Map of Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre
First Nations Winter Feast
Thursday Evenings from December 17, 2020 - March 25, 2021 (excluding Dec 30 & Jan 21)
Join the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre for a night at the museum dining experience. Located in Whistler’s Upper Village, the SLCC hosts a First Nations Winter Feast Sundays and Thursdays that blends culinary journey and cultural sharing. Enjoy a delicious Indigenous-inspired feast as Nation members share their culture through regalia, storytelling, music, and dance.
The menu includes two winter-centric salads, four hearty protein mains, and a seasonal apple and pear crumble for dessert. Highlights include the ‘three sister’s salad of roasted root vegetables, cedar-roasted salmon paired with lemon-infused maple butter, and an alder-smoked bison brisket. Veg-forward and gluten free options are abound, making this a feast suitable for all diets.
To learn more about Squamish Nation and Lil’wat Nation, an optional guided tour lead by Cultural Ambassadors starts at 5.30pm and highlights the museum’s treasures, including their newest exhibit, AMBASSADORS.
This experience is offered on Thursdays (excluding December 30 & January 21) . Doors open at 5:15PM with the optional guided tour starting promptly at 5.30pm. Please arrive by 6PM at the very latest - entry after 6:20PM will not be permitted.
||5 and under are free
|Winter Feast Pricing: