Whistler Heli-Skiing and Snowboarding FAQs
Why should I go heli-skiing or boarding in Whistler?
Whistler is the perfect place to experience heli-skiing or heli-snowboarding. Featuring ultimate vertical, sky high views, a thrilling helicopter ride and the most adventure you can pack into a day, a heli-skiing or boarding tour will be the highlight of your trip. 90% of heli-skiing in the world happens in British Columbia and the heli-skiing area around Whistler is more than 50 times the size of the Whistler Blackcomb ski area. The extent of the terrain means there is variety and fantastic conditions for all weather and snow types.
In Whistler, you can also enjoy the convenience of staying in-resort while accessing the wilderness. Choose from a wide variety of accommodation, and enjoy the dining, shopping and other winter activities on offer.
How good of a skier or snowboarder do I have be to go?
All levels of skiers and snowboarders from intermediate to expert are welcome. Powder experience is not necessary. You should be able to ski or ride a intermediate run comfortably.
How are skiers and snowboarders grouped?
Skiers and boarders are placed into groups of similar ability. Sometimes very early or late in the season we will have a group of varying stated ability levels. Should this occur, there are normally two guides with the group so the better skiers can go at a faster pace.
Do you have to jump out of the helicopter?
Definitely not! The helicopter lands at the tops of the heli-ski runs to allow all skiers to exit the helicopter. The guides will then unload the skis, poles, and snowboards.
When is the best time to go heli-skiing in Whistler?
The most popular months to heli-ski in Whistler are February and March. Snow and weather conditions are generally most reliable at this time of year. December and January often see frequent snowstorms so the heli-skiing can be outstanding. March and April see longer days and amazing spring skiing.
What kind of terrain do you heli-ski on?
This is weather dependent. On clear days you can expect to ski on the many glaciers in the area. If the weather does not allow us to get to the glaciers, you can expect to ski in the sub-alpine open tree runs. The guides will select terrain suitable for each group's abilities, but always consider snow, weather, and avalanche conditions.
Is it possible to rent powder skis or snowboards?
Your heli-ski day will be a lot more fun with the right ski and snowboard equipment. Powder skis and powder snowboards are available for rent until 7:30 PM the evening prior to your ski day. Please bring your own ski poles and ski or snowboard boots.
What should I wear and bring?
We recommend that you wear what you would normally skiing or snowboarding. Synthetic and wool layers are good options. Goggles and a warm hat or helmet are mandatory. Sunglasses (with retention straps) are best kept for springtime use.
- Book your heli-skiing for your second ski day. This gives you the first day to warm up your legs and is early enough in your trip in case your heli-skiing day needs to be rebooked because of a inclement weather.
- Your heli-ski day will be a lot more fun with the right ski equipment. The heli-ski rental shops have powder skis for intermediate to expert skiers. Please bring your own ski poles and ski boots, which can easily be fitted to the rental skis. Rental rates from $35 per day.
- Packages can be completely customizable, different lodging options and heli-skiing packages are available. Call 1.800.944.7853 for more details
Book by August 31, 2014 and Save 10% on Heli-Skiing
- Offer available on Coast Range Heli-Skiing 4 and 6 Run Experiences
- Coast Range Heliskiing operating dates are December 15, 2014 to April 15, 2015
- 4 Run Early Booking Deal: $989 per person
- 6 Run Early Booking Deal: $1169 per person
Book Really Early and Save Heli-Skiing Package
$1609 per person
- 5 nights’ accommodation in a 4 star hotel for 2 adults
- 3 day lift ticket for 2 adults
- 1 day 4-Run Discovery Experience with Coast Range Heli-Skiing for 2 adults
- Offer valid for arrivals from January 4-February 6, 2015
- Shorter and longer duration packages and other dates are available
- Must book by August 31, 2014
- Subject to availability. Rates are exclusive of taxes & fees.
This package is only available to book by phone. Please call 1.800.944.7853 to speak with a Whistler based Travel Consultant.