Ice Skating in Whistler
- A true Canadian experience and much loved winter pastime - best enjoyed with friends and hot chocolate!
- Skate outdoors in winter at the Whistler Olympic Plaza rink in the Village or on local lakes (see safety tips)
- Whistler Olympic Plaza rink is great entertainment for the while family in the heart of the Village
- Skate indoors year-round at Meadow Park Sports Centre
Lace 'em Kid - Ice Skating in Whistler
Whistler Olympic Plaza Skating Rink
Whistler Olympic Plaza transforms into an outdoor skating paradise over winter. Skate for free in the heart of Whistler Village with views of the surrounding mountains, the Olympic Rings and thousands of twinkling festive lights.
Dates and Hours of Operation*:
Dates: December 14, 2013 - March 31, 2014
Open Seven Days a Week: 11 AM to 9 PM
Closed for Ice Maintenance: 2 PM to 3 PM and 5:30 PM to 6:30 PM Daily
Admission is free! Rentals skates available for $5.
- Rentals skates available during rental shop hours, helmets available at no charge.
- Push bars available for anyone learning to skate - helmets
are encouraged for beginners
- To keep the ice surface safe
and family-friendly, hockey and figure skating are not permitted
*Open to the public except holidays, or when Olympic Plaza is booked for private
functions. Outdoor rinks are affected by weather to some degree - warm weather can lead to warm ice, and the rinks may close unexpectedly due to weather conditions.
Outdoor Skating on Local Lakes
The best spots to skate include Green Lake and Alta Lake. Remember
that skating on natural ice is at your own risk. When in doubt, head to
an outdoor rink or arena instead.
Important Safety Tips:
- Never skate alone
- Check the weather (temperatures should ideally be below -10° C / 14°
F for several days prior to skating)
- Speak with local residents or call a Fishing Tour operator to check conditions
- Bring a drill and skating pole to test the thickness of the ice. A 15
cm (6 in) minimum ice thickness is recommended
- Stay close to shore where the water is shallower
- Stay away from any open water areas including small holes and slushy spots
- Wear a helmet and other protective gear
- Dress appropriately for cold weather conditions
- Small children shoule be supervised at all times
Meadow Park Sports Centre
The Meadow Park Sports Centre features
an NHL-sized ice surface with public skating available daily between noon
and 3 PM (subject to change for special events and holidays).
Qualified skate attendants are on hand and there is a full service
skate shop with skate rentals, helmets and push bars. The Centre also offers lessons, over-16 open skate sessions and parent and tot public skate sessions.
Call 1.800.WHISTLER (944.7853) to speak with a local travel consultant