Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre
The first ever centre dedicated to the history and culture of local First Nations, The Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre in Whistler is where mountains, rivers and people meet. Built to preserve their culture and share it with others, the building is designed to evoke the longhouses of the Squamish people and the Istken (traditional earthen pit house) of the Lil’wat people with a modern architectural interpretation.
Lil'wat Nation & Culturally Modified Trees
- General Admission $18
- Senior & Disabled Admission $13.50
- Youth & Student Admission (13-17 yrs) $13.50
- Child Admission (6-12 yrs) $8
- Family Pass $49
Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre Highlights
The Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre celebrates the joint history of the Squamish and Lil’wat First Nations, past and present, by showcasing their histories, creative works and cultures in an interactive format. Highlights include:
- An interpretive centre with interactive cultural experience, permanent and temporary exhibits and demonstrations
- An outdoor Lil'wat Istken and Squamish Longhouse
- An interpretive forest walk
- A craft area with interactive crafts for all ages
- A theatre showcasing a 15 minute film
- An archival museum and contemporary gallery
- A gift shop offering products authentic and unique to the Squamish, Lil'wat, and other First Nations peoples.
- An indigenous inspired café with a menu inspired by traditional First Nations food and made with local ingredients where possible.
The gift shop and café can be accessed without paying the admission fee to the Centre - making it the perfect place in Whistler to pick up a memorable gift.
Summer BBQ Series - May 7 to September 17, 2013
Every Tuesday night during summer, you could enjoy a tour of the award-winning Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre and a First Nations BBQ dinner.
BBQs were held every Tuesday from 5 PM – 8 PM and included mouth-watering delicacies such as fresh baked sage and cheddar bannock, buffalo smokies on pretzel buns and mixed baby greens with blueberry maple vinaigrette.
For more information please view the 2013 Summer BBQ PDF.
Call 1.800.WHISTLER (944.7853) to speak with a local travel consultant