Updated January 2024
Spring is right around the corner which means longer, sunnier days and the arrival of our favourite winter season-ender sender – the World Ski & Snowboard Festival (WSSF). Happening April 8 to 14, 2024 this mountain culture celebration is the ultimate way to wrap up your ski season. Whether it’s your first year, or you’re a festival pro, here’s all the intel you need to make the most of this favourite, local festival.
Saudan Couloir Ski Race Extreme Presented by Helly Hansen
This classic Whistler race is happening on April 12, 2024, and is a genuine test of nerves and leg endurance with a course that runs all the way down the Saudan Couloir to the bottom of the Jersey Cream chair.
Places to Watch
If you’ve ever skied down the sheer face of the Couloir you know it is no easy task. Add gates and berms into the pressure cooker of competition and you have a recipe for some spicy runs and exciting viewing. The classic spectator spot for this race has been to post up beside the Rendezvous Lodge. For more information and how to register visit Whistler Blackcomb’s event page.
WSSF’s Big Air
Hosted in Skiers Plaza (2024 date TBD) the ski and snowboard Big Air events should be on everyone’s must-see list. With the world’s best skiers and snowboarders sending themselves off of a giant jump, this event is a real crowd-pleaser.
Live Music at WSSF
The live music lineup for WSSF doesn’t typically get announced until mid-March, so you’ll have to hang tight for that scoop. But the range of musical talent that descends upon our little village during the festival is always wide; from old-school favourites to up-and-comers, you won’t want to miss it. Stay tuned for the full WSSF music lineup coming out in the next few weeks, and in the meantime, you can start planning using our events listing calendar.
Culture Events at WSSF
Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Perfected over years and years of festivals, some core culture events have stood the test of time to return for this year’s festival, like the Sea to Sky Photo Challenge, 72-Hour Filmmaker Showdown and Intersection presented by Monster.
Pro Festival Tips
- Book early – The combination of killer spring weather and tons of entertainment means WSSF draws big crowds. For the best rate and the most options, I recommend locking down your accommodation early. Extend your stay during WSSF and for every third night booked receive a free $75 CAD Whistler Après Voucher.
- Get your event tickets early – In the same vein, tickets for the WSSF events like the Filmmaker Showdown get snapped up like hotcakes. Buy your tickets online long before the show to save disappointment.
- Sunscreen – After a long winter of hiding from the cold your winter skin is primed for the roasting of a lifetime. Slap on plenty of sunscreen before venturing outdoors to save the scorch.
- Pack costumes – Dust off that neon onesie or animal outfit! Wearing crazy outfits during WSSF is not just allowed, it’s encouraged. To see some real outfit creativity, you won’t want to miss out on the Slush Cup. Not everyone makes it across the pond, but at least they look good doing it.
- Hydrate – Between skiing in the hot sun all day and dancing your face off all night it can be easy to get dehydrated. Remember to pack a refillable water bottle and use it often to keep your fluids up.
- Hearing protection for little ones – When the concert jams get pumping in Skier’s Plaza it can be a bit loud for little ears. Pack some hearing protection for them so you can get amongst the action.
Free $75 Après Voucher for Every Third Night Booked
Extend your stay during WSSF and for every third night booked receive a free $75 CAD Whistler Après Voucher.
Come experience Whistler Blackcomb’s extensive terrain and adventure at every turn to see why we're known as one of the best resorts on the planet. Secure your mountain getaway with Whistler.com for personalized service and the local knowledge of our Whistler-based team. Want to win a winter trip for two to Whistler? Check out our Drop In to Winter contest.