This Month in Whistler: The Local’s List for January
A guide to what’s up, what’s new and what’s on in Whistler this month.
January 2018 – The Rainbows and Snowflakes Edition
We’re starting off the New Year right with magic moments, unique events and outside-the-box ideas for winter fun. Celebrate the incredible diversity in nature around Whistler, and the humans who visit.
- Winter is in full effect – the lakes are frozen, the snow is sparkling and there are icicles everywhere…time for a winter walk or outdoor activity to take it all in.
- On the slopes we’re enjoying champagne pow, crisp groomers and the return of the Blackcomb ice cave…
- We’ve caught the full moon on snow, and the alpenglow has been incredible – worth staying outside for even when the temperatures are cool.
- An inversion this week has allowed us to warm up on the hill, with warm temperatures in the alpine giving us a taste of spring in January. Coffee on the patio anyone?
- But there’s more snow on the way, according to the weather report…
- By the way, we’re stoked to see that nature was the clear winner in @GoWhistler’s top Instagram posts of 2017!
Adventures and Activities
- We’re heading to Lost Lake Park near Whistler Village for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.
- We’re heading out to Whistler Olympic Park for $7 Wednesday nights, with discounts on entry for snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and tobogganing plus an outdoor fire for roasting marshmallows – here’s the Insider’s take on the evening from last year.
- Checking out the ice fishing tours available around Whistler.
- Checking out the top Canadian ways to enjoy the season of snow.
- And – why not – we’re starting to plan our adventures through the year. May we suggest our top blog posts and Magic Moments Year in Review for inspiration?
Flavours of the Month
- We’re diving into those bacon maple donuts at the revamped Portobello in the Fairmont Chateau Whistler in the Upper Village.
- Enjoying the ambiance at the newly revamped Aura Restaurant in Nita Lake Lodge at Creekside.
- NEW – We’re getting our reservations in line for the reincarnation of Il Caminetto.
- NEW – Oodles of noodles! In addition to Main Street Noodles, we’re also checking out the Oyama Ramen Japanese Noodle Bar on Whistler Way.
- NEW – we’re grabbing a mid-ski refreshing beverage at the Umbrella Bar at the Roundhouse on Whistler Mountain.
- We’re taking a day off skiing to refuel, with a sleep in and brunch – like the new menu at Stonesedge.
- NEW – We’re checking out the Sitka pop-up store near the movie theatres, for quality Canadian apparel and gifts (the plaids are both warm and gorgeous)
- NEW – Get the Goods has opened in Creekside, full of interesting gifts (and things you’ll want to keep)
- We’re definitely going to pop in to Circle Kids, they’ve got a new location across the street and a store full of funky and well-made kids clothing and footwear.
- The Giant store in Marketplace is offering fat bike rentals…why not pedal the Valley Trail and check out the mountains from a different angle?
Arts, Culture and Mind Expanding Moments
- We’re heading to the Audain Art Museum to check out the Stone and Sky: Canada’s Mountain Landscapes exhibition – the perfect pairing for the mountain peaks outside. Taking a tour with a knowledgeable docent highly recommended.
- NEW – The Audain Art Museum has just announced that free admission for youth will be extended to include 17 and 18-year-olds as well as all those under 16. Neat!
- We’re learning more about Whistler’s bears (currently in hibernation) with a seminar by local researcher Michael Allen.
- On the human side, the Whistler Museum also has a new exhibit: People of Whistler.
- Over at the Library, we’re kicking off the New Year in a mindful way with events like Intro to Meditation
Events this Month
- January 6: Samsung Deep Winter Challenge at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler
- January 21 – 28: Skiing, social events, comedy nights, apres and a ski-out at The Whistler Pride and Ski Festival
- January 13: Hawksworth Lunch at Steep’s Grill on Whistler Mountain
- January 20: Finding the Line Movie Premiere
- January 25: Game Show Night with Vancouver TheatreSports League at Arts Whistler
- January 27 – 28: Whistler Blackcomb Ski and Snowboard Snowcross
- Plus plenty more…
- To check out the Pique’s Best of Whistler 2017 – as voted by locals (Congratulations to Insider Feet Banks for coming in top Whistler Writer again!).
- The Winter Olympics start February 9 – are you ready to cheer your country!?
Well, there you are – a list with the flavours of the month in Whistler. There’s a ton more to discover so don’t limit yourself, get out there and giv’r.
Last day of twenty seventeen ❄️. : : : #fromwhereidrone #drone #uav #dronestagram #dronephotography #droneporn #dji #aerial #droneoftheday #aerialphotography #flying #mavicpro #airVuz #aerialphoto #viewfromabove #drone_countries #dronespace #dronelife #worldplaces #dronepointofview #beautifulplaces #stayandwander #exploremore #taveladdict #connect2create #thegreatoutdoors #exploreourearth @djiglobal #onlyinwhistler #whistlerblackcomb @whistlerblackcomb