The Local’s List: December 2019
Your guide to what’s up, what’s new, and what’s on in Whistler for the month of December.
It’s December in Whistler and the lights are up, the snow is starting to fall and the town is well on its way to looking like it belongs in a snow globe. Whistler Blackcomb is open for skiing and riding and we’re seeing how many of the days left in 2019 we can spend on snow. Speaking of which, the holidays are coming! From film premieres to fireworks, roasting marshmallows to popping champagne, there are so many ways to get in the festive spirit.
You’ll find us:
- Skiing and boarding the perfectly groomed corduroy and saying hello again to our favourite stashes on pow days
- Strapping on our skates and getting together for a game of shinny (pond hockey) on the frozen lakes, or enjoying free admission at the Whistler Olympic Plaza outdoor ice rink
- Getting our speed-on at the Sliding Centre with the Passenger Bobsleigh and Public Skeleton experiences
- Watching the waterfalls freeze into icicle chandeliers
- Seeing how many eagles we can count while floating down the Cheakamus River
Exploring Arts & Culture
- Squeezing in as many of these top picks from the Whistler Film Festival as possible, we suspect everyone is going to be talking about The Marijuana Conspiracy
- Celebrating the mountain culture of going down steep things, fast, at The North Face Base Camp Celebration and Viessman Luge World Cup
- Visiting the Maury Young Arts Centre to appreciate the blended contemporary and traditional works from local Lil’wat Nation artist, Levi Nelson. This emerging artist is going places and we want to remember seeing his first solo show Art Exhibit After the Blast: The Art of Levi Nelson!
- Catching uniquely Whistler holiday performances like The Nightmare Before Christmas Aerial Production Fundraiser
View this post on Instagram
Having Family Fun
- On these green runs, perfect for little ones
- Playing in the snow, making snow angels, snowmen and forts!
- Check out the base of Blackcomb Mountain at 4 PM every Thursday for fun with local kids-entertainer, Ira Pettle
- Checking out Santa’s sleigh on the top of Whistler Mountain during the Coca-Cola Holiday Activation with Santa Claus on December 14 & 15
- Indoors at the family fun zone, when the weather is frightful we’ll be popping into the Whistler Conference Centre for games, activities, crafts, hot cocoa and more at the Whistler Holiday Experience
- Watching a humorous family-friendly tale about a missing teddy bear at the A Whistler Vacation Holiday Show
Eating and Drinking
- Around the fire, Irish coffee at The Raven Room? Don’t mind if we do.
- Skiing out on Blackcomb just to après at Handlebar Cafe and enjoy a selection of BC’s finest craft beer
- All of the cozy, winter comfort food, think: ramen, fondue, poutine and more
- Tukey (or tofurkey), stuffing and all the fixings, here’s how to do a holiday dinner in Whistler
- Toasting bubbly at midnight with a front-row seat of the fireworks at New Year’s Eve 2020 Presented by CÎROC Vodka at Garibaldi Lift Co.
Enjoying the Village Vibe
- On a self-guided tour of the Village light display
- Feeling the holiday magic at the Festival of Trees inside the Four Seasons Whistler and the Trees of Hope at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler
- Shopping at holiday markets and from local artisans for that perfect gift
- Celebrating New Year’s Eve in Skier’s Plaza by watching a special performance of the Fire & Ice Show and fireworks (at 8 PM and midnight)
Don’t Forget . . .
- There are many ways to get in the festive spirit before the 25th, see a full list of holiday events
- It’s winter condition on the roads, brush up on winter driving tips or consider booking a shuttle bus to Whistler
- To enter the Let Yourself Out Contest for a chance to win an adventure-packed trip to Whistler!
- To make the most out of the last month of this decade
Events this Month
- December 1: Arts Whistler Holiday Market
- December 4 – 8: Whistler Film Festival
- December 6: Refresh Holiday Market evening event
- December 7: Refresh Holiday Market day event
- December 13 – 14: Viessmann Luge World Cup
- December 15: Made in Whistler Winter Artisan Market
- December 25: Christmas
- December 31: New Year’s Eve
Ready to have an epic end to 2019 in Whistler? Plan your trip on Whistler.com and celebrate with us!