The Local’s List: October 2019
Your guide to what’s up, what’s new, and what’s on in Whistler for the month of October.
If we could only use one word to describe October in Whistler it would be vibrant.
The fiery, changing leaves pop against the deep, deciduous greens of the coastal temperate rainforest. The fresh snow lights up the peaks, defining their ridges and couloirs. The last of the Whistler Farmers’ Markets burst with fall harvest and you can practically smell cinnamon in the air. Colourful flannels and toques come out of summer hibernation and the stoke for ski and snowboard builds momentum with each ski movie premiere and new centimeter of alpine snowfall.
This passage into winter is one for the senses with fall culinary specials abound and art to discover around every corner.
You’ll find us:
- Getting as many laps in as possible in the Whistler Mountain Bike Park before it closes on October 14
- Making the most of the cross-country biking trails before they’re covered in snow
- Enjoying the autumnal colours on our favourite hikes below the snowline
- Lacing up and hitting the trails for all of the running events happening this month
- Embracing our inner kid, splashing and speeding through the mud on ATVs, UTVs, bikes and more
Exploring Arts & Culture
- At the new Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre exhibition, AMBASSADORS, that highlights their strong connection to their land, their cultures and each other
- Enjoying the crisp autumn air and looking for art where you’d least expect it
- Celebrating the written word with other book lovers and writers at the Whistler Writers Festival, October 17 – 20
- Catching the film bug at VIMFF World Tour 2019 – Celebration of Mountain Films
- Gettin’ sendy at the Whistler premiere of Matchstick Production’s new freeskiing film, Return to to Send’er, on October 12
Having Family Fun
- Exploring the Valley Trail and playing in the leaves at the locals parks and lakes along the way
- At Escape! Whistler, it’s the perfect rainy day indoor activity for the whole family
- With the teens, seeing who’s the best axe thrower in the family
- Taking in the wonder of the night at Vallea Lumina, on until October 13
- Trick-or-Treating in Whistler Village! We’ll be dressing up in our best costumes, grabbing a free tote bag from the Whistler Visitors Centre and visiting the participating business along the Stroll
Eating and Drinking
- A traditional Canadian Thanksgiving feast with all the gravy and mashed potatoes, we’re not forgetting to lock-in reservations early
- In lederhosen and dirndls, enjoying traditional Bavarian food and beer at Octoberfestin’ at the Westin
- Checking the (free) Pique Newsmagazine for fall dining specials at Whistler restaurants and pubs
- Sipping on pumpkin spice lattes, don’t judge us for being basic, Whistler’s cafes make them just right!
- Hopping between the local breweries to enjoy seasonal brews like Chesnut and Woodnut ales
Enjoying the Village Vibe
- With some Trick-or-Treating Halloween face painting at the Maury Young Arts Centre
- Following the yellow and white diamonds on the Cultural Connector to discover the interesting art, culture and history that make Whistler so unique
- From a coffee shop patio, watching the snowline creep down and the leaves turn gold
- At the legendary Whistler Blackcomb Turkey Sale in the Upper Village, scoring deals on winter gear from last season
Don’t Forget . . .
- A Whistler Sightseeing Tour is a great way to get to know the area, perfect if you’re new to town or visiting for the first time
- The PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola is only be open on weekends until October 14, after that it closes for seasonal maintenance until winter operations begin. There are still plenty of ways to explore the mountains even after the gondolas close!
- The weather can change quickly in the mountains this time of year, adventure smart and be prepared
- You can get a discount on ziplining during Halloween if you go in costume!
- To take advantage of fall deals and offers on Whistler.com
Events this Month
- October 11 – 14: Canadian Thanksgiving
- October 12: Return to Send’er – Whistler Premiere
- October 13: Whistler Turkey Trot
- October 17 – 20: Whistler Writers Festival
- October 19: Whistler 50 Relay & Ultra
- October 25 – November 1: Halloween Events
Ready to enjoy all October has to offer in Whistler? Plan your trip on Whistler.com and join us!