The Local’s List: June 2019
Your guide to what’s up, what’s new, and what’s on in Whistler for the month of June.
June in Whistler means we’re welcoming those long, sweet summer days and savouring the last drops of spring. The alpine hiking and biking trails are beginning to clear and the valley is in bloom. It’s time to hunt for waterfalls, chase rainbows and start taking hike and bike adventures to new elevations. As our outdoor activities ramp up, we’re remembering to take care of our bodies and minds at the spa and with yoga, body treatments and more. Join us, won’t you?
You’ll find us:
- Taking it easy on these mild, meditative walks around Whistler
- Following these mountain biking best practices as the last bit of snow clear to preserve the trails for years to come
- Racing up Whistler Mountain when the snow wall trail opens mid-June and craning our necks to see how big they are this year!
- Playing in the mud and that liquid sunshine, June can be a mixed bag of weather but it doesn’t stop us from getting outside – here are our tips for when it drips
- Training for our favourite running and cycling events of the season
Exploring Arts & Culture
- At the Whistler Multicultural Festival, this is a family-friendly affair with a dedicated kids’ corner
- By treating our senses at the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre’s First Nations Summer Feast performance and dining experience
- Experimenting with mindful mark making techniques and monochromatic mountains at the Audain Art Museum’s Art After Dark series
- Watching the legendary Anthill Films premiere their new film dedicated to the global celebration of mountain bike culture, Return to Earth
Having Family Fun
- Feeling like a kid – with the kids – as we experience the wonder of Vallea Lumina
- Keeping our nature obsessed kids busy counting critters for the annual Whistler BioBlitz June 6 – 9, over 1,200 previously undocumented species have been added to the region’s biodiversity list because of this event!
- Mini-golfing, climbing and more all at the Family Adventure Zone at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, it re-opens for the summer on June 15
- Taking the kids sightseeing on the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola
Eating and Drinking
- Treating ourselves to the first ice cream of the year! Is there a better way to start the summer?
- Trying all the tacos at Whistler’s very first Taco Fest on June 3, they had us at “there will be guacamole”
- Craft beer and BBQ together again at SIDECUT’s Summer BeerBQ on June 27. Don’t miss the barbecued salmon!
- At The Raven Room for their 3 course spring special (only $33!). Owner and longtime local, Steph Redmond, recommends the duck confit.
- Watching sunset late into the evening from our favourite patios like The Brewhouse, The Beacon and Garibaldi Lift Co., to name a few
Enjoying the Village Vibe
- At the Whistler Park Food Truck Block Party in the Upper Village, admission is free! Get a taste of the food trucks that will be at Whistler’s lakes and parks this summer.
- Learning about Whistler’s mountain biking heritage at the Whistler Musuem
- Cheering on the Whistler Half Marathon runners at Whistler Olympic Plaza, spectating is a sport too y’know?
- At The Happiest Sunset Pool Apres Sessions at the Four Seasons Whistler, non-guest access passes are available
Don’t Forget . . .
- These are the longest days of the year, here’s how to make the most of them
- To make time for yourself this month, a wellness getaway sounds like a pretty great idea
- While you wait for the snow to clear from the highest of hiking trails, there are plenty of walks and hikes at lower elevations
- It’s lake season! Get out on the water.
- Canada Day long weekend starts at the end of this month, it’s a good idea to book your accommodation now if you haven’t already
Events this Month
- June 7: Whistler Multicultural Festival
- June 7 – 9: ThinkBike Whistler
- June 15: Comfortably Numb Trail Running Race
- June 15 – 16: Tough Mudder Classic & Tough Mudder 5K
- June 18: Whitewater Rodeo
- June 29 – July 1: Canada Day Long Weekend
Ready to welcome summer in Whistler? Book a 2+ night stay in June and you’ll receive a free $50 voucher for select wellness offerings, details at Whistler.com.