The Local’s List: April 2019
Your guide to what’s up, what’s new, and what’s on in Whistler for the month of April.
Spring is officially here and so marks the beginning of multi-sport days. The sun is staying high in the sky longer which means you can find us parked on patios for après o’clock. The World Ski & Snowboard Festival (WSSF) hits Whistler early this month and the large variety of mountain culture events are the ultimate way to celebrate the transition from winter to spring.
You’ll find us:
- Embracing sunshine, slush and a little silliness on the slopes: Bikinis, Jodhpurs and Lycra – it Must be Spring Skiing in Whistler
- As the snowline recedes and the lakes thaw multi-sport days begin! We’re starting our day skiing / riding on the mountain and ending it two-wheeling on the trails or paddling across a lake
- The Valley Trail is snow-free so we’re dusting off our running shoes and starting to train for all of the marathons and races this summer
- Finding inspiration for our next big adventure by listening to world-renowned explorers at MULTIPLICITY presented by Mountain Life Media
- As is tradition, we’ll be trying to make it across the pond at the Slush Cup, or at the very least, look good doing it
Exploring Arts & Culture
- Checking out local artists and placing red dots next to their original pieces at both the Swatch ART + Soul exhibit and the Anonymous Art Show
- Having a laugh at The Comic Strippers: A Male Stripper Parody & Improv Comedy Show (no extreme nudity, just extreme hilarity)
- On the edge of our seats watching some of the world’s best outdoor adventure photographers go head to head at the Pro Photographer Showdown
- Finding out what’s possible when athletes and videographers come together for a mere three days of shooting, editing and producing at the Swatch 72hr Filmmaker Showdown
View all arts-based activities here.
Having Family Fun
- Looking for the Easter bunny at Nita Lake Lodge, the kid’s scavenger hunt and lakeside brunch will be on April 21 from 11 AM – 2 PM at Aura Restaurant, reservations are encouraged
- At the Whistler Public Library, our little ones will be learning about local plants and wildlife at AWARE Kids Nature Club through games, crafts and activities
- Working our way through this ultimate list: Top 10 Whistler Spring Activities for Families.
- Getting creative at the Audain Art Museum for Family Studio Sundays
We’re Eating and Drinking
- All of the recommendations in the new Insider’s Guide: Vegetarian and Vegan Eats in Whistler
- Fresh, plant-based bread and treats at the just-opened BReD in Creekside
- An indigenous-inspired feast complete with Indigenous World Winery wine pairings at the Squamish Lil’wat Culture Centre, the last Winter Feast & Performance dates are April 18, 19 & 20. Summer Feast & Performance starts on April 23
- Easter brunch at The Westin, Wildflower Restaurant and Nita Lake Lodge
- BC’s best craft beer as we expand our knowledge and palette on a Whistler Craft Beer Crawl
Enjoying the Village Vibe
- By catching free outdoor concerts daily at Skier’s Plaza during WSSF – ski out, party on!
- Watching top snowboard and ski athletes compete in Big Air by hucking off a massive jump at the base of Whistler Mountain
- With après on a sunny patio
- Strolling through the shops and keeping an eye out for winter-inventory sales
- Stopping to smell the first of the spring flowers
- To slip, slap, slop – it’s time to think about sun protection on and off the mountain
- You can ski and ride Blackcomb Mountain and sightsee on the PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola until April 22 (Whistler Mountain will be open until May 27!)
- To pack a bathing suit in case you want to embrace cold-water dipping, make a spring skiing fashion statement or enjoy the mountain views from a hot tub
Events this Month
- April 10 – 14: World Ski & Snowboard Festival
- April 11 – 14: Mackenzie Investments Whistler Cup
- April 11: Mum’s (and friends) Mountain Classic
- April 12 & 13: Saudan Couloir Ski Race Extreme
- April 19 – 22: Good Friday & Easter Long Weekend
- April 22: Earth Day
- April 27: ILLUMINATE Gala & Auction
Are you this ready for spring in Whistler? Take advantage of Spring Lodging + Free Après deals at Whistler.com.