Updated monthly, to keep things fresh.
Whistler is like an onion. Start peeling off the layers of the four seasons and the big happenings and you’ll find a host of ever-changing natural wonders, unique events and interesting things to see and do.
A post shared by Jeremy Allen (@thefulltimehobby) on
The mountains are open for skiing and snowboarding and the village is starting to look a lot like Christmas. We’re excited to be really getting into winter now and all that the season brings, like dark beer mmm… Here’s The Local’s List for the month:
On the wild side:
- The bears are asleep in their dens and a blanket of snow has begun to cover the valley.
- The darkest day of the year is coming, we’re prepping by taking our Vitamin D and practicing hygge.
- We’re catching snowflakes and thanking Ullr for bringing back the snow so we can play in it.
- When we’re not chopping wood for our own fires we’re enjoying all the outdoor fire pits Whistler has to offer.
A post shared by Megan Taylor (@megatrontaylor) on
Adventures and Activities:
- We’re skiing and snowboarding on Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains, we’re very excited for the alpine opening early this month.
- We’re heading into the backcountry and making sure we’re prepared before we go.
- We’re snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and tobogganing through the pristine wilderness of the Callaghan Valley.
- We’re not letting the dark stop us from having an adventure, we’re ziplining with headlamps on winter-only Twilight Tours.
- We’re trying our hand at being a fearless olympian by jumping in a bobsleigh or on a skeleton at the Whistler Sliding Centre beginning December 16.
Blackcomb Peak today, whoa! #avyschool . . . . . #skiing#skitouring#onlyinwhistler#explorecanada#bcpnw#adventuretime#pnwbc#beautifulbc#ski#iloveskiing#getoutstayout#backcountry#adventurer#optoutside#goodtimesoutside#learnsomethingnew#g3gear#blackcomb#backcountry#skills#alpine#backcountryskiing#earnyourturns#mountainlife#mountains#radgirlslife#lifeofadventure#arcteryx#thenorthface
A post shared by Jessie (@adventure_jessie) on
Eating & Drinking:
- We’re sipping on perfectly made London Fogs on the Lift Coffee Co’s heated patio.
- We’re looking forward to tasting Executive Chef James Walt’s creations at the Toptable Group’s newest restaurant when it opens this month, Il Caminetto.
- We are eating everything at the new Main Street Noodles and wondering how survived for so long without a local noodle bar.
- We’re enjoying dark seasonal beers at some of our favourite places to après like the Dubh Linn Gate and The Beacon (where we’re definitely ordering a Woodnutt Brown from Coast Mountain Brewing).
- We’re taking a moment on the mountain to warm up with a coffee at the Roundhouse or Rendezvous and appreciate the views.
- We’re getting all Canadiana at The Cabin, a seasonal pop-up dining and après experience at the Four Seasons.
It is that time of year…where a Woodnutt Brown from @coastmountainbeer just makes you warm inside. Have one today at the Beacon while listening to this year’s winner of the New Music Search @vendulkamusic play live at 430pm… #beaconwhistler #welovecraftbeer #bccraftbeer #onlyinwhistler
A post shared by BeaconWhistler (@beaconwhistler) on
In the Shops:
- We’re shopping for unique, locally made gifts for our loved ones at the Whistler Artisan Market.
- We can’t wait to see the new lululemon store when it opens on December 12, for now we are visiting them in their temporary location at 4293 Mountain Square unit 201.
- We’re visiting Armchair Books to find the perfect read to cozy up with during the longest nights of the year.
- We’re trying to decide which perfectly curated gift box made up of local goods at 3 Singing Birds to get for that special someone who loves Whistler as much as we do.
- We’re heading to The Beach to find that perfect goes-with-everything scarf and toque.
Arts Whistler Holiday Market hosted by @artswhistler kicks off tomorrow until Sunday from 10AM to 4PM. Tick gifts for everyone off the list with something local and made with love, including beautiful wearables by local artist @simplyswedish.ca ✨ – PC: @annalengstrand – #everythingwhistler
A post shared by Pan Pacific Whistler (@panpacificwhistler) on
- Whistler Film Festival is here and we’re taking cues from the Insider picks and looking forward to supporting local filmmaker Darcy Turenne at The Moment premiere.
- Arts Whistler Live! has performances all through winter, check out what’s next.
- Not only does the Audain Art Museum now have après hours but they also have yoga. Practice an ancient art amongst art? We’re there.
- Learn about climate change and how it will effect the Sea to Sky region at the December Quest Lecture from Physical Sciences tutor Ian Picketts at the Whistler Public Library.
- Learn how to make a holiday dream catcher at the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre’s Tour & Craft.
Got your tickets for tonight? World Premieres of PRODIGALS, THE PRODIGAL DAD and 8 MINUTES AHEAD plus the Canadian Premiere of THE BALLAD OF LEFTY BROWN and Whistler Premiere of DEPTH PERCEPTION screened with SOMETHING BY THE MANBOYS. Tickets available at whistlerfilmfestival.com and at the WFF Box Office Kiosk. #wff17 #ittakesavillage
A post shared by Whistler Film Festival (@whisfilmfest) on
Getting in the Holiday Spirit:
- Kick off the holiday season at the Treelighting Ceremony on December 1 at the Four Seasons, the event raises funds for BC Children’s Hospital.
- Support the local food bank and enjoy breakfast with the community at the 14th Annual Mountain FM Whistler Christmas Breakfast Food and Toy Drive.
- Bring your pets to meet Santa and have their portraits taken for a good cause, proceeds go to WAG – Whistler Animal Galore.
- Celebrate Chanukah at the Pan Pacific with services, kosher food, a holiday party and more.
- Visit the Whistler Firefighters for Santa’s Sleigh and Boot Drive to meet Santa and support the BC Professional Firefighters Burn Fund.
- Join a Holiday Crafternoon with the kids at the Whistler Public Library.
- Skate with Santa at the outdoor ice rink at Whistler Olympic Plaza, there will be hot chocolate, festive treats and holiday crafts to celebrate.
- Enjoy holiday carols with the Ladies of Company B Jazz Band at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.
- Ring in the New Year with fireworks at Skier’s Plaza in Whistler Village.
- This is just the tip of the iceberg for holiday events, view more here.
A post shared by Cody Whittingham (@codywhittingham) on
We’re checking out these events:
- On until December 3: Whistler Film Festival
- December 7 – January 7: The Great White North art show at the Maury Young Arts Centre
- December 7 – 8: FIS Ski Cup Jumping at Whistler Olympic Park
- December 13: Kokanee Après Ski with The Hairfarmers
- December 14: Kokanee Valley Race Series
- December 17: Park Rider Ski and Snowboard Slopestyle Event
- December 20: King of the Rail presented by Showcase
- December 23: Live Music from Monty Biggins & Kostaman
- December 30: Winter Recreational Biathlon Series: New Year’s Biathlon Bash
- Plus plenty more…
We’re definitely not forgetting:
- The longest night of the year falls on December 21, celebrate the winter solstice at the Canada 150 Winter Solstice Celebrations – Lantern Parade, you can make your own lantern beforehand.
- The Whistler Holiday Experience will be open over the holidays to keep the little ones entertained indoors.
- The free, all-ages Fire & Ice Show begins again on December 24, on every Sunday through the winter.
- Family Après at Whistler Olympic Plaza starts on December 18 and will run every Wednesday and Sunday through the winter.
- To plan for Christmas dinner by doing all of our shopping ahead of time or making reservations at a restaurant or hotel.
- To lock-in our New Year’s plans before any events sell-out.
- To slow down during this busy time of year and simply enjoy the moment.
Well, there you are – a list with the flavours of the month in Whistler. There’s a ton more to discover so don’t limit yourself, get out there and giv’r.
A post shared by Eric Wilson (@eeedubs) on